TOUR IN A FEW WORDS
the key information
DAILY TRAVEL TIME
WHAT IS INCLUDED
ITINERARY OF THE TOUR
DAY 1, SUNDAY: Ljubljana
Arrival to your comfortable hotel in the middle of the city by 2pm. Time to relax and unpack, followed by a welcome meeting and an orientation foodie walk through the city.
DAY 2, MONDAY: From Ljubljana to Dolenjska region
Dolenjska is the region of thermal springs, hayracks, enchanting castles and amazing vineyards, that produce a very special wine called Cviček. The area is not a top tourist destination of the country and this is why it is even more charming and inviting. The quality of local ingredients, innovation in the preparation and serving of dishes plus a sustainable approach to cuisine are recognised worldwide. Its cuisine was influenced by the neighbouring countries and their traditional dishes. From rolled dumplings to hard-boiled corn mush, to the flat- cakes called “pogača”, to grilled lamb and roast suckling pig and flatbread called mince.
Our tour will stop by in two distinctive areas – Bela Krajina has so many little treasures and amazing wine producers, we just need to make a stop there, returning back to the centre of Dolenjska we will stop by a castle, explore the capital of Dolenjska and enjoy dinner in a traditional “zidanica” – vineyard cottage with amazing food and tales from the past.
DAY 3, TUESDAY: From Ljubljana to Pomurje region
The world of unique water springs and dreamy romance along the river Mura, from floating mills and an island of love, to the Baroque castles, white storks nesting on chimneys, picturesque churches and unique architecture, to lush green hills lined with vineyards, to flat lands, local arts and crafts, tall towers that offer an amazing panoramic views all over the region and into 3 neighbouring countries. This is the most dynamic region in Slovenia when it comes to dialects, culture and language and for sure one of the best places to visit in the country when you want to experience everything local.
Our day will start of with a drive across the wine hills, with a stop at a Vinarium tower, then we will continue onwards to explore the region: pottery workshop, chocolate house, from farm to plate meat and pumpkin oil production, a still working mill with a grand finale of Prekmurje delicacies at a renowned restaurant.
DAY 4, WEDNESDAY: From Ljubljana to Savinjska region
A painted picture of nature, green and inspiring corners of the Alpine world, healthy and relaxing energy, urban and cultural pulses that intertwine modern and historic times, Upper Savinjska valley is a little treasure of Slovenia.
Today we will take you out to explore one of the most beautiful Alpine valleys of Slovenia – Logarska valley. En route we will enjoy in a beautiful ride over the mountains and explore the panoramic road above the valley. We will stop to taste some local delicacies. After the high views we will head into the valley and walk our food away with a visit of a waterfall, continuing on to a tourist farm for a very hearty local meal. En route back we will stop at a beer fountain, learn about beer history and finish our day with a visit of a microbrewery near Ljubljana.
DAY 5, THURSDAY: From Ljubljana to the Primorska and Karst region
Even though Slovenian coastline is short, every kilometre of the coast is a new surprise. There is Strunjan cliff, the highest flesh wall on the Adriatic Coast, the Sečovlje salt works from the 13th century, the towns of Piran, Izola and Koper with their medieval cores and beautiful backdrop of Slovenian Istria, with authentic small and charming villages, producing amazing wines and olive oils. Behind the coastline is the region of Karst, laced with spectacular underground phenomena and one of the best places to grow wine in the country They are poured into glasses in the cellars made out of stone, the main characteristic of Karst area. On the attics excellent prosciutto is cured by the help of Bora winds. Nearby the elegant Lipizzaners are showing off their majestic skills.
The tour will first take us down to the coastline and we will get to know some of the towns, the old salt-flats, enjoy in the delicacies of Slovenian Istria before heading out to lunch at a local restaurant. After lunch our path will take us through Lipica stud farm and into the heart of the Karst region, where we will finish our day with amazing wine cellar visit and wine tasting of your dreams.
DAY 6, FRIDAY: Day at leisure
Today is totally yours to explore Ljubljana. You might want to do a guided stroll through the city, visit numerous museums or just stroll along the riverside promenade. We recommend to visit the open air market of Ljubljana and stop by for the open-kitchen event that will take place throughout the day, If a free day is not to you liking , we can organise a visit to a nearby cave in the afternoon hours.
DAY 7, SATURDAY: From Ljubljana to Posočje region
No area of Slovenia has such distinctive beauty as the region of the Alps and the valley of the emerald beauty, the Soča river. With mountains so high that can touch heavens and rivers so clean, you will feel like you are in paradise. It is one of our favourite areas in the country. When people visit this region they always say that it easily compares to the natural beauty of Switzerland and New Zealand. The beauty of nature and its environments, meandering mountain roads with enchanting views, fascinating history and unique cuisine are just a few reasons why you need to see this area. It lies on the borderline between countries and cultures and that has defined this region also in gastronomy. Hardworking local farmers and world known chefs are walking hand in hand to create magic on the plate.
The day will take us from the two world-wide known sports centres of Slovenia to the top of a mountain pass into the heart of the Alps, meandering down into the valley and following the stream of the river Soča with stops en route to try local delicacies and taste some microbrews. After learning about history of the region, we will finish our day at a restaurants that has been named the 38th best restaurant in the world in 2020, with a chef who was proclaimed the best female chef in the world in 2017 and who with her own style, expertise and passion started moving culinary boundaries in Slovenia.
DAY 8, SUNDAY: From Ljubljana to Štajerska region
DAY 9, MONDAY: From Ljubljana to Gorenjska region
DAY 10, TUESDAY: From Ljubljana to Brda region and Vipava valley
DAY 11, WEDNESDAY: Ljubljana departures
licensed tour guide, a true Slovenian
comfortable and modern mini van
– transportation on tour (transfers from and to airports are charged extra),
– tour guide/driver for the entire length of the tour,
– all entrances,
– half board
– EXPERIENCE SLOVENIA WITH LOCALS; In order to really know a place, you have to know its people, its culture, its language and its history. We decided to organize our trips with help of local people. Not only local guides, you also get to meet many other locals along the way – from local farmers, renowned winemakers to world-class chefs. Everyone has a story to tell and it’s nice to hear them all!
– CULINARY DELIGHTS ALL TRIP LONG; Over the years Slovenia has become one of Europe’s best food and wine destinations, known for fresh-organic-bio-eco fusion of Mediterranean-Alpine-Pannonian-Balkan cusine and World-class Wines made by one of 24.000 winegrowers of Slovenia. An outstanding experience which by now has landed on bucket lists of every tourist that visits Slovenia. And we make sure your taste buds are treated the best possible way. Michelin Guide just recently discovered our hidden gem. A number of restaurants is now listed in their guide book. And we will take you to places that could easily be on their list.
– BEST CYCLING ROUTES SELECTED; Having grown up in the area surrounded with high mountains, abundance of rivers and off-beaten trails, we know every stone on the way to make your stay in Slovenia splendid. In the past years we have cycled on every road in Slovenia and we selected the best back roads and dedicated cycling trails for you to ride on. Enjoy our planned routes and discover best parts of our country.
– HIGHLY EXPERIENCED LOCAL GUIDES; Whether you are interested in history, architecture, food and wine or you want to learn how to cycle properly, Bike Experience Slovenia Tours has you covered! We are ready to take you around, for the entire cycling week or just a day during your trip to Slovenia. Inspired by the country of origin, the people we had met and the all the places we have seen, we set out on a mission to bring the natural beauty, culture, food and wine, arts and crafts, superstitions and believes, and most important the invigorating welcome to Slovenia to tourist seeking for something pristine and untouched. Different types of trips keep us always motivated to stay creative. Our passion shows in variety of approaches. With us you can do cycling tours, tailor made trips, culinary trips or other outdoor activities and you will always enjoy since because we simply love what we do. Today we work in different fields, offering cycling tours, tailor-made day trips, holiday programs and outdoor adventures. The passion in spreading the word of Slovenia has even grown and it does not seems to fade anytime soon.
– SMALL GROUPS; We all love to travel but most of us prefer to be treated individually. Smaller groups are more flexible, allowing us to cover more ground in a shorter amount of time, add the ability to create tighter bonds with our fellow travelers. It doesn’t take long to understand why small groups are the preferred option for organized tours. If you’re looking to travel as part of small group we are the right company as we do a great job of keeping the size of the groups small – we cap the number at 12 people per group. We are confident small groups are a perfect solution for adventurous and active trips and this way guides can make sure every traveler receives sufficient amount of attention and therefore make the trip even more unforgettable.
– BEST VALUE FOR MONEY; We know that the best way to enjoy a vacation is to not need to think about anything. We will cover every angle, provide every service necessary and make sure that your vacation will be worry – free and all about having a great time in Slovenia! We work hand in hand with local vendors and this way we allow us lower fees agains bigger players that work through middle man. First and foremost, we support local community.
frequently asked questions
HOW DO I RESERVE A TOUR WITH BEST?
Please use online form to book a trip with BEST or send us inquire email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
WHERE DO I GET MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THE TOUR?
Please browse our web page for general information, if you haven’t found what you were looking for, please feel free to reach out to us. Please send us an email with additional questions you might have. We will be glad to go through all details.
Would you prefer to reach us on the phone – let’s arrange a call (viber, whatsapp or zoom).
DOES BEST RECOMMEND TRAVEL INSURANCE?
We wish for every tour client to attend and complete the tour of their choice. In an effort to plan for unexpected health issues, personal emergencies, weather and transportation problems or pandemic reasons that might cause you to cancel or shorten your trip, travel insurance is strongly advised.
WHO ARE TOURS DESIGNED FOR?
Tours are designed to match general population. People of all age and fitness come to participate in our tour. Participants ride all kinds of bikes (one can choose road, hybrid and electric bike from our roster), and skill levels vary. Most clients come to see new things, meet new people, learn about history, enjoy divine cuisine and challenge themselves riding.
WHAT KIND OF RIDING CONDITIONS CAN ONE EXPECT?
Most of the routes are through rural Slovenian countryside. We select our routes to avoid high traffic areas when possible, though sometimes routes will intentionally lead you through small town where one can stop, sit by the table on the sidewalk and enjoy coffee. You may ride in rain or in brilliant sunshine and most likely one will experience headwinds and tailwinds during a tour.
DO WE CYCLE IN RAIN?
Should you not like to ride in rain, please inform your tour leader and see if you can ride with the luggage transfer. Sometimes additional vehicle should be arranged – you would be responsible for additional costs.
HOW DO I NAVIGATE ON THE TRIP?
On our bike trips, we include two main navigation methods:
- RIDE WITH GPS / KOMOOT. Route map one needs to upload to smartphone and use it within application – smartphone is a must have;
- every client receives a roadbook with detailed step-by-step navigation.
WHAT TYPE OF BIKES ARE AVAILABLE TO RENT?
The types of bikes available differ. All bikes are high quality, well-maintained in a full range of sizes and with a wide gear range to help you on any climb. We have hybrid bikes, e-bikes, race bikes available. Please contact us if you are looking for a certain type of bike
WHAT IS MAXIMUM GROUP SIZE?
Our group size is never more than 13 riders. This allows us to give you personalized service, and the best tour experience possible.
WHAT IS THE MINIMUM GROUP SIZE?
Your trip will run even for two people.
HOW TO PREPARE FOR A TOUR?
We recommend you give yourself few weeks before the trip start to recover and sit comfortably. It is important to start early (few weeks before the tour), build gradually (slowly build long range rides), spice it up (sometimes choose different terrain, steep hills, windy roads or long sustainable climbs) and you can do all kinds of other sports to stay in shape. This way you should be ready and your bike tour will be hassle-free.
WHAT IS SINGLE SUPPLEMENT?
The single supplement is for riders that are traveling alone and prefer a room to themselves.
HOW MUCH DO I PAY IN ADVANCE AND WHAT IS CANCELLATION POLICY?
Please read more in our terms and conditions.
ARE TIPS INCLUDED IN THE PRICE?
Gratuities for most services during your trip (except your Trip Leaders) are included in the price.
HOW DO YOUR LEADER SUPPORT THE TOUR?
One leader drives the support van, sweeping the route several times during the day and providing lifts and assistance if needed. Another leader rides the route, roving between groups traveling at different speeds.
what our clients have to say
" It was really great fun and can be quite full of adrenaline if you choose to go fast. We went to the cottage in the valley by day so we could see beautiful scenery of the mountains and returned by night with the lights. Matija is nice and experienced, I highly recommend it! "
"We did a tour from Kranjska Gora to Tamar and back and it was awesome. Matija is an experienced guide who took care of everything, bikes, lights, helmets, good spirit... I would for sure do it again and would also recommend it to anyone. At least some level of fitness is required if you want to enjoy the experience."
"It was a great experience from start to finish! Tamar was really beautiful in the evening light, so i recommend to visit it this way. Overall, a great time with friends and a must try!"